Hello Wisconsin!!! Chances are you have seen the new blue and yellow sign standing proud on I-94. If you are like me, you have made at least a couple trips to Chicago’s IKEA every time you moved or remodeled. Now that we’re getting our very own IKEA on May 16th, I wanted to share why you need to be excited about it!
- Contemporary Vibe – In the last few years, Milwaukee got several furniture stores that are a much better option than our usual puffy recliner retailers… Stores such as Crate and Barrel and West Elm made it a bit easier to find modern looks locally. With addition of IKEA, we now have a place with that Euro-contemporary vibe. Scandinavian design is very much on trend right now and IKEA definitely has much to offer in this category.
- Mix it up – Think of it as mixing Christian Louboutins with a cute dress from H&M or Zara (Btw, when are we getting a Zara store in Wisconsin? )… Pairing a beautifully made classic sofa with some cute pillows from Ikea is a great way to mix high and low cost items. IKEA’s pieces are designed to make a statement and add a trendy touch to your home. Don’t be afraid to be bold with your choices… Get that mid century inspired chair you’ve been thinking of and mix it with your classic office desk. It creates so much visual interest and depth.
- Change it up – Because of IKEA’s affordability and accessibility you can change things up often. IKEA has amazing finds that are very trendy and will make your home look fresh… but when those trends pass, you can easily go back for something new or different! And who doesn’t love to shop for more? These trendy hexagon shape mirrors are a great way to brighten up an entryway, or even add it above a headboard for an interesting wall art.
- Customizable Furniture – If you’ve ever used Pintrest and I know you have, you have seen at least a few IKEA Hacks. IKEA has some pieces that are very minimalistic in design…. I personally love the minimalistic look, but if you love that rose gold hardware, or that navy blue dresser, go ahead… paint it navy and add that bling to it! There are also pieces that, with a little imagination, can be used differently. For example these bookshelves are actually spice racks… I painted them white and used them in my daughter’s room for her baby books. Once she outgrew those shelves, we repurposed them in the playroom as art supply storage!
- Organizing in Style – I cannot talk enough about IKEA’S amazing organizing tools. I believe that well designed home also needs to be a well organized home. For a Pintrest worthy pantry, check out their IKEA 365+ collection and mix it up with some baskets and voila, you got your self a functional and organized space.
So get ready Milwaukee… IKEA will officially be open on May 16 ! Mix things up and add some European flare in your home. And if you are intimidated by all the options, you know who to call for help!